NEW: You can now apply online: Initial Registration Form
Becoming a Registered Massage Therapist in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL)
- Step 1: Apply to take the registration examination
- Step 2: Pay examination fee
- Step 3: Take the registration examination
- Step 4: Receive notification of examination results
- Step 5: Apply for registration
Application Processing Time
Once your complete application is received, please allow 5-7 business days for processing and a response from CMTNL. You will be notified if documents or information is missing. This can delay the processing time for your application.
Step 1: Apply to take the registration examination.
Graduates of recognized massage therapy education programs can apply to take the registration examination here. You will also have to upload the below two documents before you can take the registration examination:
- Graduation diploma or letter of enrollment
- Government Issued Photo ID
If you are unable to upload the documents, they must be sent by mail, fax or email before you can take the registration examinations.
Click here to apply for the examinations.
Step 2: Pay examination fee.
The examination fee for the OSCE is $850 and for the MCQ is $550
Once payment is processed Candidate is charged a $150 non-refundable administrative fee.
NOTE: Candidates will be sent payment options details once their exam application has been approved and slot is confirmed
Step 3: Take the registration examination.
See Exam Candidate Handbook for information about the registration examination.
See Exam Dates & Deadlines for dates/times of the next registration examination, and the application deadline.
Step 4: Receive notification of examination results
Applicants receive official notification of results approximately six to eight weeks after the final component of the examination is complete. You are asked to not phone the College requesting exam results. Results will not be given over the phone.
Step 5: Apply for Registration with the CMTNL
After successful completion of all components of the registration examination, applicants can apply for active registration with the CMTNL. You must apply within two years of completing your registration examinations. If you apply outside of the two years, you will be required to redo the massage therapy diploma from a recognized school or complete a refresher course approved by CMTNL.
You must complete the following steps in order to complete your application with the CMTNL.
- Complete the online Registration Form (with ability to pay online), or download and print a paper copy of the Initial Registration Form (click link for details)
- Provide proof of entitlement to work in Canada (see below)
- Provide a current first aid certificate (see below)
- Provide a Vulnerable Sector Check & Criminal Code of Conduct (see below)
- Download and complete the CMTNL Self Study Jurisprudence Exam
- Provide proof of membership with the NLMTA for liability insurance (see below)
- Proof of reasonable fluency in English language (see below)
- Pay the required fees and /or annual fee (see below)
Proof of entitlement to work in Canada.
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship, such as: Canadian Passport (photo and signature page); Canadian Citizenship certificate or card (front and back); or Birth certificate from a Canadian province
- Government-issued work permit or work visa
- Permanent resident card (front and back)
First aid certificate
You must have current certification in Standard First Aid/CPR from a recognized provider such as but not limited to:
- Canadian Red Cross
- St. John Ambulance
- Hearth and Stroke Foundation
- Lifesaving Society
Sector Check & Criminal Record Check
All applicants are required to submit a vulnerable sector check and criminal record check. The report must have been issued no more than six months before the date of application for registration.
The Vulnerable Sector Check must include records of discharged which have not been removed from all databases in accordance with the Criminal Records Act and records of outstanding criminal charges of which the RCMP is aware. The name on your registration application must match the name on the report. The Vulnerable Sector Check must also state that search was conducted under all current, previous, former or maiden names of the applicant.
Please note that not all criminal findings prevent you from being registered. The Registrar will assess and consult with the CMTNL Board whether, in all the circumstances, the criminal findings affect your suitability to be a Registered Massage Therapist. You will also be able to appeal any decision to exclude or limit your practice because of any previous criminal findings.
To apply through the NL RCMP, please click the link provided below. If you live in another province besides NL, you will need to request the vulnerable sector check and criminal screening certificate from your local RCMP or police department.
CMTNL Self Study Jurisprudence Exam
All applicants must complete the Self Study Jurisprudence exam and submit with their initial registration application.
Proof of Membership with the NLMTA
As per the Massage Therapy Act, 2005, all applicants must be members with the Newfoundland and Labrador Massage Therapy Association. The NLMTA facilitates professional liability insurance to its members which is legally necessary to practice massage therapy in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Newfoundland Registrants click here to apply.
Out of Province Registrants click here to apply.
Proof of Reasonable Fluency in the English Language
The demonstration of reasonable fluency in the English Language is required by the CMTNL. Effective communication is essential for the provision of competent, safe and quality Massage Therapy services. Language fluency enhances public protection by ensuring that registrants can communicate effectively with the College of Massage Therapists of Newfoundland and Labrador (the CMTNL), clients and other members of the healthcare team.
A candidate may meet the language requirement in the following ways:
- A candidate’s first language is English.
- A candidate has completed his/her secondary school education in English.
- A candidate has completed a standardized English test approved by the College within the past two years and achieved the required scores by the test.
- The candidate has successfully completed an approved Massage Therapy program that had a minimum language fluency requirement for admission.
Pay registration fee and annual dues
The following fees are payable: